Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Mystery Machine


The Mystery Machine
Originally uploaded by bhorn.
I've seen this van around town before. Apparently the owner has a video store in Felton called Scoob's.

This is of course a reproduction of the van from Scooby Doo.

I was nuts about comics and cartoons when I was a kid and a teenager and many of my cultural references are from cartoons. There were some cartoons that were masterpieces and some that were just so-so. Some of them started out as masterpieces and years later degenerated into pap. The early Popeye cartoons for instance were much better than what came after for instance.

Scooby doo was rather odd in that it started out with some pretty good stuff the first season (I wouldn't necessarily say masterpiece level but fun and decent quality entertainment) but everything after that first season seemed like they just had one basic plot that they used over and over. What was amazing to me was that it went downhill so quickly (maybe it was the first two seasons that were good, I didn't follow it that closely).

I have not been able to get myself to watch all the way through either of the new Scooby Doo movies which is disappointing to me. I had high hopes that they would be an innovative kitsch fest like the Brady Bunch movies but something about the digital animation disturbs me and the whole feel of the movies just turns me off.

Oh Well.

No comments: